- 19th District
- How Can I Help
Dinniman Announces $ 50,000 in Safe Schools Grants for Great Valley, Avon Grove
WEST CHESTER (February 24) – State Senator Andy Dinniman announced that the Great Valley School District and the Avon Grove School District will each receive a $ 25,000 grant for programs that prevent or reduce school violence.
“Providing a safe learning environment is the top priority of our schools and a key part of that goal is addressing potential problems before they occur,” Dinniman, who serves as minority chair of the Senate Education Committee, said. “These funds will provide resources to increase school safety by giving teachers the tools they need to address risks and by teaching students proven techniques for conflict resolution.”
The Safe Schools Targeted Grants, which come through the Pennsylvania Department of Education, are focused on helping schools prevent or reduce violence by these means:
- Reducing unnecessary student disciplinary actions and promoting an environment of greater productivity, safety and learning;
- Providing professional development to staff using research-based violence prevention and classroom management programs; and
- Enhancing antiviolence efforts between schools and parents, local governments, law enforcement and community organizations.
School Districts were eligible to receive up to $25,000, with the following programs considered for funding:
- Conflict resolution or dispute management.
- School-wide positive behavior support.
- School-based diversion programs.
- Classroom management.
- Research-based violence prevention programs that address risk factors to reduce incidents of problem behaviors among students.
- Training for Student Assistance Program team members.
- Staff training in the use of positive behavior supports, de-escalation techniques and appropriate responses to student behavior that may require immediate intervention.
The grants come as part of $2.6 million in total funding that was awarded to 110 public school districts throughout the Commonwealth.