- 19th District
- How Can I Help
Dinniman Announces Dates for Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
WEST CHESTER (May 18) – State Senator Andy Dinniman encouraged residents to take advantage of the upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events scheduled throughout Chester County in the coming months.
“With warmer weather on the horizon, I know that many of us are taking on home repair projects, working on cars, getting boats ready for the summer or just doing some house cleaning,” Dinniman said. “If you come across dangerous chemicals in your basement or garage, you can safely and properly dispose of them at any of these events.”
Chester County’s upcoming Household Hazardous Waste Collection schedule is as follows:
- Saturday, May 21
Owen J. Roberts Middle School
881 Ridge Road
Pottstown, PA 19465
- Friday, June 24
Coatesville Learning Center
(Same as CAT Brandywine Entrance/Veteran’s Drive)
1425 East Lincoln Highway
Coatesville, PA 19320
- Saturday, September 10
Oxford School District Administrative Building
125 Bell Tower Lane
Oxford, PA 19363
- Saturday, October 8
Government Services Center
601 Westtown Road
West Chester, PA 19380
- All events run from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m.
- These collections are for household hazardous waste only. Businesses and contractors will be turned away.
- Proof of residency may be required.
- A maximum of three items per vehicle will be accepted.
- No more than 220 pounds or 25 gallons of hazardous waste per household will be accepted.
- Materials must be in original containers with labels.
Hazardous waste items that will be accepted include: paint thinners, turpentine, oil-based paints, stains and varnish, swimming pool chemicals, weed killers, pesticides, rodent poison, joint and caulking compounds, asphalt sealers, septic tank degreasers, fuel additives, transmission/brake fluid, antifreeze, gasoline, kerosene, car batteries, drain openers, adhesives and solvents, mothballs, household cleaners, rechargeable batteries, mercury-bearing items and propane cylinders (under 20 lbs).
Items that will not be accepted anywhere include: latex paint, used motor oil, appliances, fire extinguishers, tires, asbestos, explosives, gas tanks, alkaline batteries, PCBs, medical waste, radioactive waste, unidentified waste, commercial and industrial waste, ammunition, 50-gallon drums, and Freon.
Latex (water-based) paint will not be accepted. It needs to be dried out before being put in the trash for curbside collection.
For a complete list of acceptable and unacceptable products click here, or visit www.chestercountyswa.org.
Residents should also call (610) 273-3771 for information on recycling automotive related materials.
- NO electronics will be accepted at any of the HHW collection events.
- Chester County will accept electronic waste at the Lanchester Landfill free of charge until December 2016.
- A maximum of three electronic items will be accepted per vehicle (a complete computer system is considered one item).
- All items must be intact and no disassembled items will be accepted.
- Residents must be able to unload their own items.
- Read more here.
“Remember, if improperly disposed of, these items do not just harm the environment, they can also pose serious health risks to you, your friends, family, and neighbors,” Dinniman said. “I want to thank the Chester County Solid Waste Authority for holding these events.”